This article came from the Chronicle
Volume 2(2) published April 1982. Page 23
YEOVIL LIBRARY, 1928
Author: Eric Dove
This contribution may not be highest grade archive material, but could be of interest to many users of the library in King George Street and to readers throughout the county.
The following list of books shows some of those added to stock when the new library building was opened on 2 March 1928 and has been extracted from the first two pages of the accession register.
|REMARQUE,E.M.||Three comrades||THOMAS,B.||Arabia Felix|
|HENRIQUE,B.L.||Indicretions of a warden||WEYMAN,S.J.||Gentleman of France|
|ROGER,E.||Myths, Scenes and worthies of Somerset||BEAUCHAMP,J.||British Imperialism in India|
|BURNETT,F.H.||Little Lord Fauntleroy||JACOBS,W.W.||Odd Craft|
|PARRY,C.H.H.||Style in Musical Art||HAGGARD,H.R.||Ayesha|
|BOWEN,M.||Mr Washington||WEYMAN,H.J.||House of the Wolf|
|BRAMWELL,J.M.||Hypnotsm||FARNOL,J.||Black Bartlemy’s Treasure|
|DOSTOEVSKY,F.||Crime and Punishment||HORLER,S.||High Stakes|
|COOLRIDGE,S.||What Katy did at School||CHARTERIS,L.||Featuring the Saint|
|CREASEY,E.||15 Decisive Battles of the World||BUCHAN,J.||Witch Wood|
|CONRAD,J.||Last Essays||BLOOM,U||Fruit on the Bough|
|FEA,A.||Flight of a King|
In his annual report for 1938/39, the Borough Librarian, Ernest Batty, reported that the most popular books of the year had been Margaret Mitchell’s ‘Gone with the Wind’ and A.J.Cronin’s ‘The Citadel’.
Plus ç change . . . !