Print Friendly, PDF & Email

TIMELINE:

1405 St John Baptist Church completed
1831 Yeovil Riots
1843 Foundation Stone for Holy Trinity Church laid
1845 Yeovil County School Founded
1849 Town Hall opens
1856 Yeovil Pen Mill Station opens
1861 Yeovil Town Station opens
1863 Preston Road cemetery built
1872 Yeovil Hospital opened
1885 Alexandra Hotel opened
1887 Tower removed from Town Hall
1895 Yeovil Casuals football team started
1913 Fatal train crash at Pen Mill Station
1913 New tower added to Town Hall
1914 Petters United football team started
1921 World War One Memorial Unveiled
1922 Bides Garden Hospital opens
1932 Post Office opened
1935 Yeovil Town Hall destroyed by fire
1962 George Hotel demolished
1967 Yeovil Town Station closes
1969 Old Yeovil Hospital Building Demolished
1969 Fiveways Toll House Demolished
1990 Yeovil Town move to new stadium

Programme

All YALHS talks start at 7:30pm and are held at the Holy Trinity Church & Community Centre, Lysander Road, YEOVIL, BA20 2BU (Non-members Welcome – £2 at the door)


Click >H e r e for a Detailed Programme


Summer Programme 2018
Tue 12th Jun – Guided Tour Weymouth Museum
Fri 6th Jul – South Petherton Walkabout
August – Visit an Archaeological Site
Fri 6th Sep – Visit Somerset Rural Life Museum


Winter Talks 2018/19
Fri 5th Oct – Muchelney Abbey – from its obscure origins, through the Norman Conquest to the Dissolution
Fri 2nd Nov – Talk on the World War One – about the local lads who went to war and the lasses role in the war
Fri 5th Dec – The Unfortunate Captain Pearce & the wreck of the Holswel
Fri 4th Jan 19 – Members’ Evening – all welcome – Join us for various talks, a quiz and light refreshments
Fri 1st Feb – Roman History of Ilchester
Fri 2nd Mar – Walter Bagehot – Langport’s Unknown Celebrity Brought forward from last year
5th Apr (Fri) ‘The Lost Islands of Somerset’
3rd May (Fri) AGM followed by a talk – Parish Boundaries in and around Yeovil – (Non-members – free entrance!) – bring a friend


Gallery
2014 - pg106_plate 111 2014 - pg109_plate 116 2014 - pg121_plate 130 Leslie-Booke's-Model-ofThe- Silk Hill, Salisbury Plain St John's Church, Yeovil St John's Churchyard, archaeology day 6 Stained-Glass-at-Long-Burto Tail-Mill-Merriott-in-2014( Yeovil-St-John's-Chancel-Ro