This article came from Chronicle published October 1984. Plate01
EIGHTEENTH CENTURY FLAGON ST JOHN’S CHURCH, YEOVIL
Author: Leslie Brooke
There is nothing in the churchwardens’ accounts to show how or when this was acquired. It is inscribed ‘St.John’s Church Yeovill’ around the base on the outside, while underneath, on the bottom of the vessel. ‘Town of Yeovill’ has been engraved, so it is possible it was given by the towns-people during the incumbency of the Rev.Martin Strong who was Vicar from 1690 to 1720.
The writer is grateful to the Rector, Preb.Patrick Blake, the churchwardens, and to Mrs.Mavis Unwin, for permission to obtain a view of this communion vessel, which is now kept in bank vaults.