Print Friendly, PDF & Email
1001-1500
1086Yeovil was recorded in the Domesday Book as 'Givle'
1205Yeovil was granted a charter by King John
1300's Glove makers were first mentioned in Yeovil during the 14th century
1348-49 Yeovil was hit by the Black Death which may have killed up to half the population
1349During a visit by the Bishop of Wells, a riot occurred in St Johns Church. This followed an argument between the townspeople and the clergy over the markets
1405St John Baptist Church completed
1477An almshouse was built with money bequeathed by John Woburn
1499Yeovil was almost completely destroyed by fire
1501-1800
1646-47 Yeovil suffered severe outbreaks of the plague
1685Following the Monmouth Rebellion against James II, eight supporters of the Duke of Monmouth were hanged, drawn and quartered in Yeovil.
1737The Western Gazette newspaper, published in Yeovil, was founded
1744A grammar school opened in Yeovil
1801-1900
1801A the time of the first census the population of Yeovil stood at 2,800.
1830The Improvement Commissioners body was formed with responsibility for paving, cleaning and lighting the streets
1830s Approximately 3 million pairs of gloves were being made annually in Yeovil at this time
1831Yeovil Riots
1834Gas street lighting was introduced in Yeovil
1836Yeovil Poor Law Union was formed in May
1837The new Yeovil Union workhouse was built in Preston Road, with accommodation for 300 inmates
1839A Savings Bank was built in Princes Street
1843Foundation Stone for Holy Trinity Church laid
1845Yeovil County School Founded
1849Town Hall opens
1856 Yeovil Pen Mill Station opens
1860Yeovil Junction Railway Station was opened in July
1861Yeovil Town Station opens
1863Preston Road cemetery built
1870s Yeovil's first piped water supply was introduced
1872Yeovil Hospital opened
1881The population of Yeovil according to the census was 8,479
1882 Petters oil engines began production in Yeovil
1885Alexandra Hotel opened
1887Tower removed from Town Hall
1888A cheese and butter marketing company was established in Yeovil. It adopted the name St Ivel in 1901
1891The population of Yeovil according to the census was 9,648
1895Yeovil Casuals football team started
1901-2000
1911The population of Yeovil according to the census was 13,759
1913Fatal train crash at Pen Mill Station
1913New tower added to Town Hall
1914Petters United football team started
1921 World War One Memorial Unveiled
1922Bides Garden Hospital opens
1926The new Municipal Buildings were built
1932Post Office opened
1935Yeovil Town Hall destroyed by fire
1962George Hotel demolished
1962Reckleford Fire Station was built
1963Yeovil College was opened
1967Yeovil Town Station closes
1969Old Yeovil Hospital Building Demolished
1969Fiveways Toll House Demolished
1969Maltravers House was built. It was named after the Maltravers family who were lords of the manor of Yeovil in the Middle Ages
1971The population of Yeovil according to the census was 25,504
1973Summerland Hospital was opened
1974Under the Local Government Act 1972, the new Yeovil District was formed by a merger of the former municipal boroughs of Yeovil, Chard, Crewkerne and Ilminster urban districts, Chard Rural District, Langport Rural District, Wincanton Rural District and Yeovil Rural District.
1974The Octagon Theatre was opened
1976The St Ivel factory was closed
1985 In local government, Yeovil District was renamed South Somerset District
1990Yeovil Town move to new stadium
1993The Yeovil Railway Centre, railway museum, was established
2000Wyndhan and Summerhouse Hills puchased for public use
2001 Onwards
2001The population of Yeovil according to the census was 41,871
2002Major work on Yeo Leisure Park is completed. It was built on the 700-space Old Town Station car park.
2003YTFC wins Nationwide Conference and is promoted to the Football League
2004YTFC crowned Champions of Coca-Cola League 2

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Programme

All YALHS talks start at 7:30pm and are held at the Holy Trinity Church & Community Centre, Lysander Road, YEOVIL, BA20 2BU (Non-members Welcome – £2 at the door)


Winter Programme 2017
Fri 6th Oct 17 – Alberto Biolleti – A Soldier of Napoleon and Master Clockmaker of Wincanton
Fri 3rd Nov – Archaeology of Stone Quarrying
Fri 1st Dec – Somerset’s Highway Heritage (change of programme)
Fri 5th Jan 18 – Members’ Evening – all welcome – With a quiz, various talks and light refreshments
Fri 2nd Feb – South Dorset Ridgeway Mapping Project
Fri 2nd Mar – Walter Bagehot – Langport’s Unknown Celebrity
Fri 6th Apr – Lidar – The Imaging of a Hidden Landscape
Fri 4th May – AGM followed by a talk – Brewing in Weymouth


Click >H e r e< for our 2017 Winter Programme – for more details


Gallery
2014 - pg106_plate 111 2014 - pg109_plate 116 2014 - pg121_plate 130 2014 - pg127_plate 135a 17th c chamberpot from Yeovil Library site Leslie-Booke's-Model-ofThe- St John's Church, Yeovil St John's Churchyard, archaeology day 6 Tail-Mill-Merriott-in-2014(