Print Friendly, PDF & Email

FRONT COVER Fragment of 14th century tile from Somerton. (see item on page 71) L. Brooke

This article came from the Chronicle published November 1988.  Page 79

 

MILITARY EFFIGY FROM SOUTH PETHERTON

Authors: Brian and Moira Gittos

 

This 13th C military effigy now lies in South Petherton church. It was discovered in 1929, in Pitway, when a hole was being dug for a petrol tank. It was described in S&D, N&Q, Vol XIX part CLXI, p217 and in the Somerset Proceedings, Vol LXII p 46. The heraldry appears to identify the figure as Sir Philip D’Aubini (died 1294) but it may, alternatively, represent his brother, Sir William (died 1285). It shows several unusual features, the flaps of mail which protected the face and the coif laid back on the shoulders. The figure is sword handling and straight legged, with the feet resting on a beast of which only the paws remain. It is carved from oolitic limestone (probably Doulting). Where are four holes drilled from underneath and several notches in the edge of the slab, which could have taken ropes for raising it, when found. It would probably have been brought via the Rivers Axe and Parret. We visited the church on the 8th October 1988, accompanied by Jerry Sampson, the Archivist of the West Front of Wells Cathedral. He examined the figure and found minute traces of the original colour still remaining. In order to record this important evidence, this illustration has been prepared with the colours indicated. Unfortunately, no colour was found on the charges, on the shield and so the doubts about the heraldry were not resolved.

 

Archives
Programme

Walkabout – 2019

Fri 7th June – Wells Cathedral & Vicar’s Close

Fri 5th July – Bruton Town

August – Visit an Archaeological Site – TBC

Fri 6th Sept – Sherborne Old Castle

 

New – View DETAILS for Summer 2019 & Winter 2019/20
Click here to see our full programme.

Gallery
2014 - pg109_plate 116 2014 - pg121_plate 130 Geophysics-in-St-Johns-Church Ham Hill trench 3 Tail Mill Merriott in 2014 Yeovil St John's Chancel Roof Boss