Print Friendly, PDF & Email

This article came from the Chronicle published May 1983. Page 58

 

CHURCH LIVESTOCK

Author: Leslie Brooke

 

In his ‘Churchwardens. Accounts’, published in 1913, the Rev.J.Charles Cox wrote that ‘gifts of livestock to the Church were frequent. Occasionally such gifts or bequests were speedily sold and the cash received entered in the accounts. But in other cases they were retained and farmed out at so much the year by the wardens, pledges being expected for their safe custody’.

That Yeovil’s churchwardens were possessed of such a stock is indicated in their accounts for 1457-8 (1) when they recorded under ‘Gifts Pledged’ (Receipts) the following: ‘And sixpence for three woollen fleeces sold to Guy ‘Corveser (one of the churchwardens) shorn from, church stock this year 35th’ (of Henry VI), and further, under ‘Expenses’: ‘For pasture bought, for two owes from the parish stock, eightpence.’

Further livestock was bequeathed in the following century. This is shown in two wills, printed in Somerset Record Society publications. The first is an item contained in the will of John Walle alias Hamlyn, dated 26 October 1526: ‘To the same church (of Evill) to the maynteyning of the bells and other ornaments there. 10 yewes and a kowe for to contynue in a stock for the said Church bohove’ (2). The other, an undated will of the same period in Wells Diocesan Registry, made by John Perkins alias Tyncker, which itemized: ‘To the same church j mare the price of xs., to be brought in the commonwealth and to be prayed for’ (3). This latter bequest was made for the donor’s name to be placed on the parish bede roll recited annually in Lent.

(1) Nicholls,J.B. & Son: Collectanea Topographica et Genealogica: 1936 – Account of the Proctors of the Church of Yeovil, co. Somerset, 36 Hen.VI, 1457-8.
(2) SRS Vol.XIX, p.258.
(3) SRS Vol.XL, p.130.


Programme

All YALHS talks start at 7:30pm and are held at the Holy Trinity Church & Community Centre, Lysander Road, YEOVIL, BA20 2BU (Non-members Welcome – £2 at the door)


Click >H e r e for a Detailed Programme


Summer Programme 2018
Tue 12th Jun – Guided Tour Weymouth Museum
Fri 6th Jul – South Petherton Walkabout – Meet at the Parish Church
Fri 17th Aug – Ilchester Archaeological Walk and Talk – Meet at the Museum
Fri 6th Sep – Visit Somerset Rural Life Museum


Winter Talks 2018/19
Fri 5th Oct – Muchelney Abbey – from its obscure origins, through the Norman Conquest to the Dissolution
Fri 2nd Nov – Talk on the World War One – about the local lads who went to war and the lasses role in the war
Fri 5th Dec – The Unfortunate Captain Pearce & the wreck of the Holswel
Fri 4th Jan 19 – Members’ Evening – all welcome – Join us for various talks, a quiz and light refreshments
Fri 1st Feb – Roman History of Ilchester
Fri 2nd Mar – Walter Bagehot – Langport’s Unknown Celebrity Brought forward from last year
5th Apr (Fri) ‘The Lost Islands of Somerset’
3rd May (Fri) AGM followed by a talk – Parish Boundaries in and around Yeovil – (Non-members – free entrance!) – bring a friend


Gallery
2014 - pg106_plate 111 2014 - pg109_plate 116 2014 - pg121_plate 130 Leslie-Booke's-Model-ofThe- Silk Hill, Salisbury Plain St John's Church, Yeovil St John's Churchyard, archaeology day 6 Stained-Glass-at-Long-Burto Tail-Mill-Merriott-in-2014( Yeovil-St-John's-Chancel-Ro