Print Friendly, PDF & Email

This article came from the Chronicle published April 1984. Page 86

 

PROSECUTIONS FOR NOT OBSERVING THE SABBATH

Author: Leslie Brooke

 

Yeovil churchwardens obtained summonses on at least two occations in the nineteenth century for the breaking of the Sabbath day by inhabitants.

 

1816 Octor. Two summons’s for Persons having their Shops open & selling on the Sabbath day 2s 0d
1821 Janyy. 3 Summons’s for Nossiter, Ross & Beaton – for Drunkeness Sunday. 3s 0d
 

Programme

All YALHS talks start at 7:30pm and are held at the Holy Trinity Church & Community Centre, Lysander Road, YEOVIL, BA20 2BU (Non-members Welcome – £2 at the door)


Click >H e r e for a Detailed Programme


Summer Programme 2018
Tue 12th Jun – Guided Tour Weymouth Museum
Fri 6th Jul – South Petherton Walkabout – Meet at the Parish Church
Fri 17th Aug – Ilchester Archaeological Walk and Talk – Meet at the Museum
Fri 6th Sep – Visit Somerset Rural Life Museum


Winter Talks 2018/19
Fri 5th Oct – Muchelney Abbey – from its obscure origins, through the Norman Conquest to the Dissolution
Fri 2nd Nov – Talk on the World War One – about the local lads who went to war and the lasses role in the war
Fri 5th Dec – The Unfortunate Captain Pearce & the wreck of the Holswel
Fri 4th Jan 19 – Members’ Evening – all welcome – Join us for various talks, a quiz and light refreshments
Fri 1st Feb – Roman History of Ilchester
Fri 2nd Mar – Walter Bagehot – Langport’s Unknown Celebrity Brought forward from last year
5th Apr (Fri) ‘The Lost Islands of Somerset’
3rd May (Fri) AGM followed by a talk – Parish Boundaries in and around Yeovil – (Non-members – free entrance!) – bring a friend


Gallery
2014 - pg106_plate 111 2014 - pg109_plate 116 2014 - pg121_plate 130 Leslie-Booke's-Model-ofThe- Silk Hill, Salisbury Plain St John's Church, Yeovil St John's Churchyard, archaeology day 6 Stained-Glass-at-Long-Burto Tail-Mill-Merriott-in-2014( Yeovil-St-John's-Chancel-Ro